We’re all aware that the old saying, “you step on a crack, you’ll break your mothers back”, is merely a fabrication chanted by children on the playground.
However, spinal cord injuries, while not instigated by kids stepping out of place on the sidewalk, are far more common then the general public is even aware of. The following are some of the top causes of spinal cord injuries to look out for:
- “Motor vehicle accidents.Auto and motorcycle accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries, accounting for more than 35 percent of new spinal cord injuries each year.
- Spinal cord injury after age 65 is most often caused by a fall. Overall, falls cause more than one-quarter of spinal cord injuries.
- Acts of violence.Around 15 percent of spinal cord injuries result from violent encounters, often involving gunshot and knife wounds, according to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center.
- Sports and recreation injuries.Athletic activities, such as impact sports and diving in shallow water, cause about 9 percent of spinal cord injuries.
- Alcohol use is a factor in about 1 out of every 4 spinal cord injuries.
- Cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis and inflammation of the spinal cord also can cause spinal cord injuries.”
Unfortunately, you can’t always prevent these injuries from inflicting themselves on your body.
Fast dial #1000 free from your cell and we’ll get you the support you need.